1 large carrot
2 cups uncooked green lentils
2 cups amaranth grain
2 small bunches parsley
2 cups chick pea flour
2 small red onions
4 garlic cloves
1/2 cup soy sauce
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Pinch of thyme
Pinch of chili flakes
1/2 cup grapeseed oil for cooking
- Cook your lentils in 2 and 2/3 cups water
- Cook your amaranth in 6 cups of water. Bring the amaranth to a boil, simmer and cook uncovered for about 20 minutes. The water should be almost fully absorbed by the grains. At the end of the cooking time, put a lid on the pot and leave aside while you prep the veggies. The grains will absorb the rest of the water and will become a little fluffy. Alternatively, you can cook your amaranth in four cups of water and simmer it covered with a lid, then leave aside covered while you prep the vegetables.
- While the lentils and amaranth cook, prep your vegetables. Peel and shred the carrots and finely chop the parsley, onion and garlic.
- When the lentils are cooked, stain the remaining water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the amaranth. Mix well using your hands and make sure you break the lentils.
- Once the mixture starts coming together, add in the amaranth and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Form patties to desired size and shape.
- Heat up the grapeseed oil in a pan over medium heat. You can add 3 patties at a time and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.